Friday, October 5, 2018

Week #6

I know all my other posts have been about courage and while I have been slowly developing that in the background, I'd like to talk about excellence now.

I defined excellence as doing better than you did yesterday, essentially learning from my mistakes or from others' mistakes. If you don't know, I am in the Debate team and last weekend we had a conference at American Heritage Plantation. It was great! I really liked it a lot and it was completely different from middle school MUN conferences.

It was two days. One the first day, I was very intimidated by the high level of skills in my committee and didn't exactly know what was going on most of the time. By the time the second day came, I knew exactly what I wanted to do that day and actually managed to greatly affect the outcome of the committee. I practiced excellence and I felt really happy and proud of myself, something that's a little rare.

But also shoutout to Claudia for being my partner-in-not-knowing-what-was-going-on-at-all :D Thank god for the "filing typo" that helped us save Europe, Mr. Roper! (We were in a crisis committee about F. D. Roosevelt's cabinet in the Great Depression.)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sophia!
    I'm very glad that the past week you advanced so much in your virtue, and that you did well and had fun in committee (I loved it :)). Your development from day 1, being clueless, confused, nervous, into day 2 when you knew what was happening, dominated the topic, and were a key figure in the room. That's true excellence if you ask me! getting what you could from your first day of your first high school conference, and turning it into much more, and acting like an experienced delegate.
    I hope the next week is as, if not more, excellent for you and that you destroy in FHSMUN!!

    GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. umm by the way of course I didn't mean destroy when I said destroy in FHSMUN, i totally meant diplomatically dominate FHSMUN...

      Delete